
The Southern Transitional Council denied that it was disbanding on Saturday, contradicting a statement by one of its members that the group had decided to dissolve itself.
Yemen's main separatist group, the Southern Transitional Council, denied that it was disbanding on Saturday, contradicting a statement by one of its members that the group had decided to dissolve itself.
The conflicting statements highlight a split in the STC, a group backed by the United Arab Emirates that seized parts of southern and eastern Yemen in December in advances that heightened tensions with another Gulf power, Saudi Arabia.
Saudi Arabia and the UAE used to work together in a coalition battling the Iranian-backed terrorist organization, the Houthis, in Yemen's civil war, but the STC advances exposed their rivalry, bringing into focus big differences on a wide range of issues across the Middle East, ranging from geopolitics to oil output.
Saudi-backed forces retake STC seized land
Saudi-backed fighters have largely retaken the areas of southern and eastern Yemen that the STC seized, and an STC delegation has traveled to the Saudi capital Riyadh for talks.
But STC leader Aidarous al-Zubaidi skipped the planned meetings and fled Yemen on Wednesday, and the Saudi-led coalition accused the UAE of helping him escape on a flight that was tracked to a military airport in Abu Dhabi.
In an announcement broadcast on Saudi state media on Friday, one of the group's members said the STC had decided to disband.
In a statement issued on Saturday, the STC said it had held an "extraordinary meeting" following the announcement in Riyadh and declared it "null and void," saying it had been made "under coercion and pressure."
The group also said its members in Riyadh had been detained and were being "forced to issue statements."
The STC reiterated calls for mass protests in southern cities on Saturday, warning against any attempts that target the group's "peaceful activities."
Authorities in Aden that are aligned with Yemen's Saudi-backed government on Friday ordered a ban on demonstrations in the southern city, citing security concerns, according to an official directive seen by Reuters.
latest_posts
- 1
Vote In favor of Your Favored Kind Of Cheddar - 2
Iconic iceberg turns blue, on verge of totally disintegrating, NASA says - 3
Iran war fuels fears of new inflation wave among German consumers - 4
The Way to Recuperation: Defeating Dependence - 5
Global measles cases drop 71% in 24 years as vaccination coverage improves, WHO says
RFK Jr. wants to scrutinize the vaccine schedule – but its safety record is already decades long
Why is the Artemis 2 rocket launch different from all other rocket launches?
Insight: Pills, TikTok, weight-loss apps and the consumer-driven future of GLP-1s
Civilian toll mounts in Iran as war presses on
Dwayne ‘the Rock’ Johnson opens up about being the 'new guy' again — and why this moment feels like a new life
Famous Places to get-away for Americans
He suddenly couldn't speak in space. NASA astronaut says his medical scare remains a mystery
'Euphoria' releases Season 3 photos with Zendaya, Sydney Sweeney, Jacob Elordi and others: See them
EU Commission prepares €90bn Ukraine loan despite Hungary's veto












